Sunday, June 25, 2017

Christopher Walker 2/082006 & 25/06/2017. myTHself.

In 1972 He/I was born in Sunderland  (UK) the youngest child of three.  My brother, with whom I shared our bedroom, is five years older, my sister seven years older.  It was once said, with laughs, at a family Christmas lunch that I was an accident.  My mother was a housewife skilled in dress making.  My father was a production supervisor in a new tyre factory.  My father had been a miner like his father and was of a large, prominent Catholic family in his home town .  I was brought up Catholic, my mother converted to Catholicism when I was a child. 

I grew up in a cul-de-sac built in the late 1960's and had lots of good friends.  I was passionate about things military and spent a lot of time playing war themed games with friends and toys. I was good at school and got good school reports.  I was interested and enthusiastic especially in Maths and Art.  I never read much or listened to music neither were popular in our house, I hated football which was. I have always been a terrible speller and slow reader.  I served on the alter in church until I was 15, then I got a part time job on Sunday mornings as a pump attendant at a local garage. 

When I was little I think I wanted to be a soldier.  I think it was ideas of bravery and triumph which attracted me... and the great suits.  I thought briefly to myself about being a priest but I never heard god calling like they said he would.  When i was thirteen I wanted and received a drawing board for Christmas.  With Carreers Service advice I began to think of being an architect.  I got the best GCSE results in my school year and went on to sixth form to get four A levels .  At 18 I left home and went to Oxford polytechnic to study architecture.  

When I finished my degree in 1993 there was little work for architects in the UK.  I moved back home to the north briefly but through friends moved into a room in a shared house in Fulham west London. I was unemployed and began to re-consider my relation to the world. I lived in this house until 2001 when I moved to France to share the home of my partner - now wife.  I live there now with no children but many animals. 

myTHself, Christopher Writer on Christopher Walker. 2 august 2006 & 25 june 2017. 

He is on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Outside (1)

The first plein aire pictures I made were for Walkerloo .  They were back drops for my portable paper soldier army on tour.   10 years later...